Sunday 22 February 2015

Assessing Listening in French

New to the Ontario FSL curriculum this year is the component of Listening. (Before it used to be just Speaking, Reading, and Writing). This has raised the question for me, as well as for other teachers I am sure, just how does one assess how a student listens?

I am part of a group of fsl teachers who are trying to work this out. We have come up with a rubric, which I am in the early stages of using with my classes.

So far, for me, the focus has been on listening to understand, because I feel it is measurable. Based on a student's responses, I can tell whether they have heard, and understood what they have heard.

The implications are more far- reaching than I had initially understood. It's starting to become a bit of a game in the classes. Basically any time someone speaks in French I have the opportunity to ask another student to respond, based on what they've understood. They are talking to each other much more, which is a great thing for second language acquisition. We're actually in the very early stages of getting a conversation going.

Here is the rubric, in case anyone else is a second language teacher, or assessing listening as part of an oral language mark. It's free: help yourself:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Rubric-for-Listening-to-Interact-French-1724028

No comments:

Post a Comment