Saturday 7 March 2015

Using Google Forms, in Classroom, to do Class Surveys

This week I tried something new. I used Google Forms to make a questionnaire in French for the students about their favourite foods. Like this:




It was very easy to do. A good tutorial about how to use google forms is this one, by Scott Monahan:




I used google classroom to send the form to the students as an assignment. Here is a link to google classroom.

https://classroom.google.com/u/0/ineligible

Google classroom allows the teacher to track who has completed the assignment and who hasn't.
If your board doesn't support google classroom, you can still do this activity; just stay in google forms.

Google forms automatically compiles the data from the completed forms into a spreadsheet as students submit their responses.

You can also, (and this is my favourite) view the responses in graph form, by going back to the original form and opening the "responses" window, and clicking on "summary of responses".




Using these graphs, the students can discuss the outcomes of the survey (in my case in French).
It gives a lovely pictorial representation of our class preferences.

You could also use this for any kind of voting/ opinion surveys. You could also create a form that students could use to respond to oral presentations, and give feedback.

In my case, I'm just getting started with it, and wanted to try this simple survey as a bit of an experiment. The students were really engaged- much more than if I had given them a pencil-and -paper survey, and they enjoyed seeing the responses graphed at the end. I think it helped them feel like their voice had been heard, to see their response registered within the whole.

I will definitely do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment